Well, here we are, six days into 2017. So far, so good. The worst of it was a week I spent in bed with an upper respiratory infection, courtesy of this crazy weather we’ve been having.
Before getting into any new posts, I thought I would take a moment and get us set up and ready. (Old habits die hard – especially for teachers!) I’ve decided to make some improvements, part of what Dipper and I call The Reclamation. I may have alluded to it in previous posts, but it’s the idea of reclaiming who you are after a particularly rough period in your life. It’s like resolutions, but more long-lasting.
Here are mine…
- BETTER HEALTH. I am focusing on making the changes that I can make and stick to. For example, I’m on a 3-day streak of making my own breakfast before leaving for work. So far, what I’ve noticed is that I’m not starving by lunch, and my bank account has a little bit more padding. I’ll be adding biking and swimming at the gym when I’m better and fully over the aforementioned upper respiratory infection.
- MOAR BOOKS. You can never have too many books! I joined Goodreads.com’s book challenge, stating by the end of 2017, I want to have read 79 books. I haven’t finished one yet, but I’m making good progress. I also want to sit in front of my bookshelves at some point and categorize all my books on Goodreads.com, so that I have everything catalogued. (Oh! And I also fell in love with my Kindle, some seven years after Tkout bought it for me. It’s never too late!)
- CROCHET ALL THE THINGS! I still owe some crochet gifts to people for Christmas, and I was working on a 2016 temperature blanket. I want to finish those items, and then move forward. I miss learning new stitches, and I am embarrassed to admit that I have 12 bins of yarn. I want to plow through that, because nobody in their right mind needs that!
- MOAR REVIEWS! I owe book reviews to a few authors. Now that my life is balancing out from my 2016 year in hell, I intend to make good on my review promises. And sooner. Reviews will be on Goodreads.com, Amazon.com, and of course, here on CharnelHouseReviews.com.
- GROW UP. My husband and I have been in our house for four years. It’s time to really take stock of what I have, get rid of what’s no longer useful, and make space. Not to mention, I’m still bringing stuff over from my parent’s house. Most of which is from my teaching career.
- NO MOAR DRAFTS. Before writing this post, I almost worked on a previous post from last Easter. But I decided my 2017 Declaration of Intent post should be first. I want to sort through my post drafts, finish some, trash others, and then start new in the new year.
Let’s make this year super groovy!